Love Going to Work?
At Thomas Global, our culture is vibrant and unique – our office is open and collaborative. In addition to great office perks, Thomas Global offers an attractive salary and benefits package, friendly colleagues and paid days off to support charities. We are proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Due to continued growth and expansion, we’re looking for people who are powered by passion and eager to do the best work of their lives. Be a part of a highly collaborative global environment in Sydney, Australia or Irvine, California.
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Thomas Global Systems is an industry leader in the design, production and support of innovative electronic systems solutions for aerospace and defence applications. Since 1956, the Company has gained international recognition for practical innovation and dependability. Thomas Global delivers expertise in avionics, armoured vehicle electronics and mission system solutions from its facilities in Irvine, California and Sydney, Australia.
We are currently recruiting the role of Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to be based in our Sydney offices. Reporting to the CEO and as a key member of the Executive Team, the CFO will have primary responsibility for the planning, implementation and management of all group finance activities. This is a rare opportunity to join a highly respected Australian-based aviation and defence technology group with international customers and operations.
- Strategically partner with the Group’s leadership team to drive profitable growth through analysis, influencing, and action on risk assessment, contracting excellence, pricing, profitability, and cost control
- Oversee all accounting, forecasting, budgeting, AR/AP, ERP functions in Australia and USA
- Oversee preparation and ensure the accuracy of all financial statements and ensure strong program and project financial controls
- Provide leadership to expand ROI through efficient deployment of financial resources
- Provide thought leadership in effective risk mitigation processes, estimating, and project accountability to budgets
- Procure and manage insurance of all kinds
- Support pricing activities for new business, in collaboration with our business development and operations staff, to improve win probabilities while positioning the team for delivery excellence
- Lead reporting, forecasting, and annual/long-range planning processes, including providing financial targets for profitable growth and proactive analysis of financial statements for opportunities to increase income
- Perform market, customer, and project analysis to proactively identify both new opportunities and potential risks to future business performance
- Lead and manage the company’s cash flow models and provide analysis and recommendations whenever needed in support of programs, investments, contract negotiations, etc.
- Provide oversight for the development of accounting standards and controls
- Provide commercial support across the organization, including in contract/subcontract negotiation and management
- Manage transfer pricing policy and implementation
- Solid financial background with significant experience in operational management and contract negotiation
- Experience that demonstrates strong analytical skills
- At least 10 years of experience in various financial, accounting, or other relevant business positions
- Experience in a contracting organization or similar project-based environment including working with Earned Value Management, Cost Accounting Standards, pricing and managing cost-based proposals/contracts
- Exceptional engagement skills, written and verbal
- Demonstrated understanding of defence and/or aerospace industry and related regulations
- PMP and/or a certification in project management
- Knowledge of US accounting standards
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field
- Current Chartered Accountant or CPA
- MBA or Master ‘s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business
Applicants must be Australian Citizens to meet defence security requirements.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Thomas Global Systems designs, produces and supports innovative electronic systems solutions for aerospace and defense. Since 1956, we have built a global, industry-leading reputation for practical innovation and dependability. Our expertise in flight deck avionics, display technologies and specialized mission systems is strengthened by our dedicated service and worldwide support teams. As a direct result of our work, millions of people rely on our technologies for their safety every day. From our company’s offices and facilities located in Australia and the United States, we support our global customer base as a PARTNER OF CHOICE.
Driven by market-led, practical innovation, a great culture and consistent revenue growth, we work hard to unleash the full potential of every team member. As a result of our continued business growth and, in particular, the expansion of our Engineering Centre of excellence in Sydney, we are always looking for passionate engineers who are eager to deliver their best work in a highly collaborative environment offering great benefits. We hire great people and expect great results.
We are seeking an accomplished and confident Systems Engineer ideally with Defence experience to join our growing engineering team in Sydney.
In this important role, you will be instrumental in developing and implementing the system engineering life cycle for several high profile defence projects with particular focus on the Maritime space.
This role will enable you to utilise your systems engineering skills to elicit requirements and manage systems engineering outcomes within complex and interesting projects whilst fostering stakeholder relationships.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Elicit, document and manage requirements through the system engineering lifecycle
- Provide and support key system engineering activities on Defence maritime projects, including the application of the relevant engineering standards and procedures;
- Stakeholder engagement – build and maintain client relationships;
- Manage and deliver system engineering disciplines including ILS, System Safety , Verification & Validation and Configuration Management;
- Technical document authoring and contributing to tender responses.
The ideal candidate will hit the ground running and be proactive in engaging with the team, tools and program priorities. Combining an aptitude for problem-solving with a practical hands-on approach to ‘getting things done’, you will have the horsepower to execute a wide variety of complex tasks concurrently. It is expected that you will demonstrate the initiative to work effectively with limited input or direction whilst maintaining the sense of humor and a collaborative attitude necessary to be successful in our fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Tertiary qualification in Electronic Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering or related discipline.
Candidates must be able to obtain Australian Government Defence Security Clearance.
- Certified Systems Engineering Professional CSEP (INCOSE)
- Current NV1 Security Clearance or able to obtain.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience developing and integrating systems and complex products
- Fluency in the systems engineering process and its application to the management of complexity and risk reduction
- Experience working within Systems Engineering lifecycle including Verification & Validation of systems
- Experience with authoring/reviewing technical documentation
- Experience in management of engineering design / technical maintenance
- Customer focus and excellent interpersonal skills
- High-level accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience with common requirements management, Project Lifecycle Management (PLM) and Configuration Management (CM) software
- Motivated problem-solving techniques and written / verbal communication skills
Desirable (nice to have but not a must):
- Experience with Systems Engineering as it applies to Australian Defence Acquisition
- Experience with Polarion ALM software
- Experience developing systems and products within a regulated environment such as Aerospace and/or Defence
- System Engineering experience within an ASDEFCON environment
- Integration of systems incorporating embedded software
IRVINE, CA, UNITED STATES
Working at Thomas Global
Thomas Global Systems is an industry leader in the design, production and support of innovative electronic systems solutions for aerospace and defense applications. Since 1956, the Company has gained international recognition for practical innovation and dependability. Thomas Global delivers expertise in avionics, armored vehicle electronics and mission system solutions from its facilities in Irvine, California and Sydney, Australia.
Why Thomas Global?
Thomas Global was founded on the belief that with vision, hard work and good ethics, anything is possible. Today, we operate as a global company!
Thomas Global’s headquarters are located in Sydney, Australia with an additional major facility in Irvine, California. Our team is focused on meeting customer needs at a local level. Meanwhile, a global management structure drives innovation in all business areas.
Thomas Global operates in a highly regulated environment, and our decisions can affect both our operating environment and the wider community. As a result, we have high expectations of our employees. We seek to attract and retain the highest quality staff that share our values and understand what we are trying to achieve together. We ask a lot of each other: open communication, professionalism, performance and a genuine belief in our business goals and corporate culture.
At Thomas Global we value the individual contribution made by every member of our team. We believe that every employee has something valuable to add to our business.
We invite our employees to embrace the values that have made Thomas Global the company it is today and look forward to hearing from our team on how they think we can grow and develop even more positively in the future.
People Just Like You
Who are we?
We are engineers, program managers, technicians, marketers, accountants, lawyers. We are technologists and innovators, product developers and customer service professionals.
Our careers cover Engineering, Program Management, Finance, Business Development and Commercial fields. We are part time, full time and casual employees that balance our careers with our families.
Our Working Together Culture
Our company was founded on the belief that with vision, hard work and good ethics, anything is possible.
When you work for Thomas Global, you become part of an organization that combines progressive, modern, innovative business practices, team-oriented dynamics and strong values and ethics. We call it our “Working Together” culture. Every team member is empowered, using good judgment, to do what it takes to make sure quality products and service are ever present for our customers.
Thomas Global is a company that offers every employee the opportunity to work with great people, and develop a satisfying career in a company that values you. We want to provide each team member the opportunity to grow and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.
Thomas Global's Foundation
The Thomas Global Foundation offers employees the opportunity to give back to the community with donations and time with charitable programs.
Thomas partner with Stepping Stone House, Royal Flying Doctor Service, Young Endeavour, and the University of Sydney.
Find out more here.
Thomas Global's Senior Leadership
The Senior Leadership Team is firmly focused on delivering on our Vision and Mission promises. Our corporate leaders have an open-door policy and work smart to help achieve our objectives. All our corporate leaders are team and values focused.
Learn more about Thomas Global’s leadership here.
Thomas Global has partnered with the University of Sydney to offer the Thomas Global Scholarship in Engineering Leadership, one of the most valuable engineering undergraduate scholarships offered in Australia in terms of financial support and leadership development.
This scholarship provides many opportunities including:
- An annual structured professional experience placement program with some of Australia’s leading firms – so you can graduate with business and leadership skills without having to extend the length of your degree
- Leadership insights, including working with Design Researcher Professor Andy Dong, the Warren Centre’s Chair in Engineering Innovation, and with the John Grill Centre for Project Leadership
- Direct access to an industry mentor
- Access to a valuable industry network with regular functions where you can meet with alumni, government and industry leaders – including from your sponsor organisation
- Additional support through online networking forums
- An annual stipend of $18,000 (tax free) to support you financially through your 4-year degree.
For further information on the scholarship program, please click here.
Contact the Human Resources Department:
To find out more please Contact Us or call phone number: +61 2 8723 6500 (Australia) or +1 (949) 596-7895 (United States)